Thursday, April 29, 2010

Community



I had another very busy week full of uke related activities. What I discovered was that Hawaiian music is not just about playing beautiful songs, it' about community. On Saturday I spent the morning with all of Saichi's past, present, and future students at his home assembling the Kapalakiko Newsletter which goes out to 5,000 families worldwide. Prior to the event I had no idea what to expect. I thought there would be about 10 of us sitting around trying to come up with newsletter ideas to write about. When I showed up 30 minutes early, there were already 30 people sorting paper, stapling packets, and preparing mailing labels all in an assembly type fashion. What a great surprise! As I took my place in the staple station I met several other uke lovers who exceptionally positive and spirited about the whole 'Aloha' spirit. This was my first real experience of Hawaiian love. For the next 5 hours we worked away while learning about each others' life (uke) stories and how we ended up learning from Saichi. It was heartwarming.

Monday night I had class again and we worked on Waikaloa. It's still really hard for me to sing and play at the same time. Mostly because I really don't know the words that well yet and it tends to throw me off as I try to spit/slur/mumble them out. I should really sit down and learn some basic Hawaiian language pronunciation. I'm sure learning the meaning of some key words would also help familiarize myself to the language.

Tuesday was my 3rd band rehearsal. We struggled through some songs in the beginning but after some warm-up we were sounding a lot better. I definitely could not sing along with some of the Hawaiian songs the first go around. The most challenging but beautiful are Manu Mele and Te Tiare which has some French in it too. My all-time favorite at this point is I Miss My Hawaii. I have the link of my first 'performance' of it. I hope you love it as much as I do. (Keep in mind I need to work on my voice).


Today (Wednesday, April 29, 2010) I got together with some coworkers to start planning a talent show at work! I plan to play the 'I Miss My Hawaii' song with my guitar teacher along with 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' (although it's incredibly hard for me to sing this one since I have such a limited vocal range). BUT I did manage to convince a coworker who grew up in Hawaii to teach some people the hula to go with the songs I'll play. I can't wait. It will be on June 10th so I'll be sure to post the video.

One of my favorite coworkers is relocating to Chicago. I'm going to miss her a ton...she even thought about picking up the uke after she played some chords at our backpacking trip in Big Sur. I plan to get her a uke as a going away gift. One day when we meet again we would have to play together.

So...this week has been about community. The ukulele started as a fun activity for me to do. Now it's become my life and has opened the doors to an entirely new, loving, and passionate community of Hawaiians and Hawaiians at heart. I'm just as excited about this new part of my life as I was the first time I heard Jake Shimabukuro on the uke.

Here's another song I have been learning 'White Sandy Beach.' It's Bobby's favorite so far of the 'English' songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment