Thursday, April 22, 2010

Uke Week


Last week was my first intense week of ukulele. I had my beginners class on Monday, band rehearsal Tuesday, went to watch the band perform at Sundance Kitchen at Friday, and attended the monthly workshop in Alameda on Saturday. Sunday afternoon I went to the park with my sister and baby cousins and the uke. It was a beautiful Sunday in Golden Gate Park. We fed the birds by the lake on 36th Ave and then I played some songs for the kids to dance to. Jonathan, the youngest, loved it and danced throughout each song. He even attempted to play the uke.
Here's a link to the song/dance.




This week will be similar. Monday night I had class with Saichi and Mark. We played Puamana (the first Hawaiian song I've ever learned) in the key of A and worked n harmonizing. Of course I struggled, often ending up on the instructor's note instead of my assigned harmony note. I definitely need some ear training. I can't hear the 3rd and 5th note in my head to start singing it right on cue. We also learned a new song, with a cha-lang-a-lang strum. It was harder than Puamana although the instructor said it should be easier to learn. It's called Waikaloa.



Tuesday night I had rehearsal - and I went an hour early so that I could copy the humongous songbook. It took me an hour to copy 1/4 of it which is probably around 150 pages of music. Unfortunately I left it there so I hope that it's still in good shape when I visit Saichi this Saturday. Band rehearsal was good - I met 4 other band members who were equally as welcoming and talented. I really feel fortunate to have been welcomed to this group. So far it seems like I have years to practice to get to the level of other members. I got my picture taken for the band website...so hopefully my profile will be posted soon. We worked on Mehameha, White Sandy Beach, Olomana Moon (written by Saichi), Kamalani, and Moanalua. My favorites are the first two and Kamalani.

1 comment:

  1. What a cutie! Do you think he's ready for his own ukulele?

    ReplyDelete